Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My Wednesday Hodgepodge

My friend Lisa's blog is one of my favorites.  My husband loves it, too!  So of course, when she answered the Wednesday Hodgepodge questions from another blogger, I thought, "I have to do a hodgepodge post!"

These questions are fun.  I liked reading Lisa's answers.  I doubt mine will be as entertaining, but here goes:

1.  What's one way you are like your siblings?  Oh my.  I'm not much like any of my siblings as far as I can tell.  I'm the youngest of six.  My oldest brother was 20 and married when I was born.  We've lost two brothers already, the one who was closest to me in age (and I am now older than he ever got to be). The brother who was the middle child until I came along died a few years ago - and today is his birthday, I just realized!  So let's see.  The others are politically pretty conservative and I am definitely politically liberal.  They tend to live quite a bit "higher on the hog" than I do.  (None of them married a starving church musician!)  I think the only possible similarity is that we all love to eat and love good food, which is a good enough excuse to hang out together, which we do too infrequently.


2.  What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of yourself at age 18?  Naive!  I had no clue about the real world.  I lived in a protective shell and had absolutely no experience with boys, the world, other people.  Good thing I stayed home for my first year of college.  I attended the college I now work at!  I certainly never thought that would happen.  I went away to school after that year.  That's where the growing up began!

3.  Sculptor, dancer, actor, painter.  If you could excel in one of these arts, which would you choose and why? Painter, definitely.  I've wanted to be a painter as long as I can remember.  My father's cousin or aunt (can't remember which she was), Rose Kirkwood, was a painter and we had one of her landscapes over our sofa and I wanted so badly to be able to paint like she did.  The only problem was that I had/have zero talent or ability.  My mother told me that everyone had some kind of talent, I just had to find out what mine was.  Later on, she told me that she thought my talents were sewing and cooking.  I thought, "Man, could I possibly have talents that were any more boring?"  Now I love both of those "hobbies" and I'm so glad to be a quilter, baker and cook.  Also, painting is a pretty solitary experience, and my introversion plays into that well.  I'd love to be a portrait artist.

4.  What's a scent that takes you back in time and where does it take you?  I talked about this in a previous post - the smell of a flower shop takes my back to the days surrounding my father's funeral when I was nine.  On a happier note, there's a sort of sandy smell that takes me to my grandmother's house.  You don't really think of sand having a smell, but the sandy soil her house was built on did have a very identifiable smell.  And speaking of my grandmother, the scent of stock (the flower called stock) always makes me think of her - she grew stock in her flowerbeds.

5.  November is for peanut butter lovers.  (National peanut butter lovers' month).  Are you a lover or a hater?  What's your favorite dish/recipe that calls for peanut butter?  I'm a total peanut butter lover.  My favorite ice cream is Baskin-Robbins' peanut butter and chocolate, but my favorite peanut butter recipe is peanut butter cookies from a 1936 cookbook I have.  So good.  I've had some really good peanut butter pies, too.  You know the recipe for Oreo truffles?  Where you grind up the oreos, mix them with cream cheese, roll into balls and dip them in melted chocolate?  I want to try that with Nutter Butter cookies, and maybe dip them in white chocolate.

6.  What do people thank you personally for most often?  Food!  Just noticed how often that answer has come up in this post!  The second thing that comes to mind is a strange one.  I have a crazily accurate and vast memory!  I'm known as the go-to person for instantly delivering someone's last name, song lyrics, stars of tv shows, names of movies, etc,  It's sort of a combined blessing and curse.

7.  What event this year are you most thankful for?  The truly most incredible event of the year was attending the Super Bowl in New Orleans - for free!  I won a trip for four (the three of us and our best friend) to go to the Super Bowl and spend 5 days in New Orleans.  I'm not even a big football fan, but it was so. much. fun.  It's something you think you'll never get to do, but we did!  Our seats were great and we even got to go out on the field at the end of the game for the confetti drop.



8.  Insert your own random thought here.  I wish there were more hours in the day to do all the things I need/want to do - work, sew, blog, do genealogy, keep house (I'm also so thankful for Juliet and Sylvester, who clean my house top to bottom every other week), do Bible study, volunteer.  I just need to win the Lottery and retire!

Other random thought:  This blog post is so rambly!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

love love love your answers!! They made me smile. I really want to taste one of those oreo truffles made with nutter butters . . .mmmmm!!