Monday, March 17, 2014

What I did on my spring break

It was spring break here last week and for the first time (ever, I guess) all of the employees of the college where I work had the whole week off.  In the past, only the students and faculty were off all week and the staff had to work Monday through Wednesday.  This year, thanks to thoughtful research and presentations by our staff advocacy group, the board of trustees agreed that everyone should be off the whole week.  Bliss!

Our good friend from "out west" came to visit for the week.  We had fun eating (lots), going shopping, going to a movie (Blue Jasmine), hanging out together (he's a very low maintenance guest) and, sewing, of course!  I worked on my fussy cut grandmother's flower garden, with our friend's help:  he actually basted about a zillion of the white hexagons onto their paper pieces. You can see them here.  (My connection must be too slow to add pictures this morning, so I've linked to my Flickr site).

I'm not a huge Woody Allen fan, but I thought Blue Jasmine was just great. The theme of the movie is:  The lies we tell ourselves are just as detrimental, if not more so, than the lies we tell other people.  Cate Blanchett did a great job of bringing believability to an exaggerated character.  Only maybe Jasmine's not so exaggerated.  My limited contact (basically, next to none unless you count news stories) with the super wealthy suggests that there are some Jasmines in real life.

I ended the week bringing the container plants out of the garage, finally, and back on the patio and porch.  I also planted four tomato plants, cucumber seeds and a few other plants.  If we have another freeze at this point, I'll be completely shocked, but then, I never expected we'd have such a cold winter.

So now I have to put the hexagons aside and get back to work on a churn dash restoration.  I put it away for spring break because I didn't want to close myself up in the sewing room all week, and I limit my restoration work to that room, for safety of the projects.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: